Friday, May 11, 2012

Debunking the Fukushima Spent Fuel Fable




·

There is a scary myth floating around the internet. According to the tall tale, the spent fuel pool at Fukushima Daiichi unit four poses a dire threat to all mankind.



As I explain in the above video, nothing could be farther from the truth. The sources of the lies have a well established history of lying to the public about themselves, about nuclear technology and about the possibilities of accidents. The quartet most closely associated with this myth are Robert Alvarez, Arnie Gundersen, Kevin Kamps and Paul Gunter. All of them were quoted in a story that ran on Alternet.org titled The Worst Yet to Come? Why Nuclear Experts Are Calling Fukushima a Ticking Time-Bomb
I have some friends who are working on a detailed technical response to Alvarez’s fear mongering fable. I’ve seen the draft; it is undergoing additional independent verification, but I expect that I will be able to provide a link sometime later today.

You might want to watch for it on the ANS Nuclear Cafe; I am planning to be busy this afternoon playing with my 2 year old granddaughter. In the meantime, I felt I just had to respond to do what I could to pour some calming information onto the stirred up waters in an attempt to calm fear and trembling.

If you appreciate my explanation and my exposure of the shaky technical backgrounds of the “Nuclear Experts” quoted in the Alternet.org story, please spread it around. There is nothing here to fear.

LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an unmoderated blog. Please be professional and respectful as you post.